The year 2020 has had it’s massive challenges. If worries about the coronavirus and other news kept you from sleep last year, then we have some suggestions here for getting more restful, healthful sleep in the new year.
No. 1? Exercise, of course. Nothing helps you sleep better than working your body. This is true for all kinds of exercise – especially resistance/strength training.
- Keep your bedroom cool and dark.
- Eliminate TV and electronic devices from your bedroom.
- Get outdoors for sunlight every day to keep your body’s natural sleep clock ticking on time.
- Avoid caffeine after lunch.
- Limit food that’s high in sugar, saturated fat and processed carbohydrates – and, for some, spicy food at night.
- Eat more plants, fiber and foods with lots of unsaturated fat, like nuts, avocados and fish.
- Watch the amount of alcohol you consume.
- Don’t drink anything close to bedtime. You don’t need another reason for a late-night bathroom visit!
- Try a few minutes of meditation before you fall asleep to help stop your mind racing.
- Focus on your breathing.
- Try a weighted eye-pillow – it activates your OCULOCARDIAC REFLEX by putting pressure on muscles that hold your eyeballs in place which also happen tocommunicate a signal to activate the relaxation response! GIVE IT A TRY – available here
As children, some of us were raised to believe that sleep was a sign of laziness. Nothing is further from the truth. You need a solid 7 to 9 hours each night to keep your body and your brain functioning properly.
After 65, sleep issues can increase accidents, falls, cognitive decline, depression and more.
Value your sleep! It is essential for optimum restore and repair of the body, brain and emotions.
Sleep better for a better 2021!